Saturday, August 15, 2009

Random Connections Brings About Creativity and New Partnerships

In the 2009-10 fiscal year, the major action item in which most of our activities revolve around is promoting the SEM Link brand. SEM Link is a wonderful organization, that has a sound organizational structure and quality programs; but not enough people know who we are and what we do. As Executive Director, I am always telling people about SEM Link, who we are and what we do. However, because we have been taking promoting the organization up a notch, I find myself talking about the organization in places that I normally wouldn't. As I result, I have gained some additional resources for the organization as well as told more people about our great organization and the great work we do to "unveil potential through exposure".

While I was enjoying a wonderful jazz concert last weekend; I made two connections that will help out with provide support with our marketing and fundraising efforts. I didn't have my business card with me because I was going to have a good time, I wasn't going to this event as SEM Link's Executive Director. But since the connections were made, I took the advice of the best networker I know, Ms. ChiChi Okezie of Simple Networking LLC took advantage of the technology by getting their email addresses and emailing them at the event. I'm glad I followed Ms. Okezie's advance because I am already developing relationship that are bringing resources to the organization and promoting the brand.

In the past few days, I have meet a jewelry maker and a exercise physiologist who is in training to be a registered dietitian. I recruited them to become volunteers for our programs to teach the girls in the after-school program of our community partner Cool Girls concepts related to real world applications of science. I'm not going to give away my lesson plan until I get it copyrighted, but I can tell you that these connections made me think of a more creative way to engage students in hands on science activities. No child will learn about material science, earth science, anatomy and physiology and biology in a more "out of the box" way than these young ladies.

So I am sharing this story because this push to promote the SEM Link brand, tells me that I must always be ready and open for the resources that will come as a result and make sure that my cell phone is charged so I can take advantage of the opportunities when they present themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About SEM Link

My photo
Science, Engineering and Mathematics Link, Inc. (SEM Link), a tax-exempt nonprofit organization, was founded in 2004 on the premise that exposure to members of the science, engineering and mathematics (SEM) communities is critical to student development in math and science. Our mission is to promote student achievement and career exploration in math and science while increasing student exposure to the science, engineering and mathematics communities and enhancing resources that are available at local schools and community organizations. Our two core programs, Math and Science Career Academy and Experimental Design Program, provide students with an opportunity to develop their math and science skills by enhancing the classroom learning experience and teaching them skills that are transferable to other areas of life. We recruit students and professionals for our programs that have backgrounds in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.